This is the first full episode of the Italian American Power Hour. These episodes will air periodically and will feature Italian Americans talking about the Italian American community today and current cultural topics. In this episode we will be dissecting the Italian American wedding today versus years ago.
Times have changed dramatically since our parents had their weddings, years ago. In this episode, we banter back and forth about what the Italian American wedding has turned into and whether or not we think it is headed in the right direction. You can listen to the episode by clicking the play button above or get a taste for it by reading through some of the comments from the episode below. Please leave your comments on the topic in the comments section at the bottom of this post.
- “How the hell do you successfully eat broccoli rabe at a buffet?” – Rossella Rago
- “We passed the rubicon where there was a need to show off that surpassed the need to celebrate.” – Pat O’Boyle
- “Did weddings go from practical marriages, which were by necessity, to romantic weddings which are fairy tales?” – Pat O’Boyle
- “Is the wedding really just an event, and is the marriage not being thought through?” – John Viola
- “The only acceptable things to give someone for their wedding shower is cash.” – Rossella Rago
- “We went from giving a gift that comes from your heart to giving a collection from a registry.” – Pat O’Boyle
- “This [wedding] registry entered like a Trojan Horse in the 1980’s.” – Pat O’Boyle
- “She had her bachelor party at Seychelles, where can we go? To the moon? “- Pat O’Boyle
- “All the venues were shocked to hear that we were getting married in a church.” – Dolores Taranto
- “It seems like everybody just cares about the event, and the church is the only place that cares about our marriage.” – Dolores Taranto
- “I’m such a big dork when it comes to weddings. One of the secret horrible things I do is watch people’s wedding videos.”– Rossella Rago
- “The wedding is the creation of a new domestic church, which is a new family.” – Pat O’Boyle
Enjoy your favorite shows from channels Canale 5, Italia 1 and Rete 4 with Mediaset Italia for $10/month. Plus taxes. Plus, get a $100 AT&T Visa® Reward Card when you sign up with qualifying DIRECTV® service, WITH 24-MO. AGMT. REDEEM W/IN 75 DAYS (CARD W/IN 4 WKS). Ends 6/30/18. Call 877.778.4794 today.