In this episode of The Italian American Podcast, we air a conversation recorded this past summer in Sicily with Laura Lee, founder of Digging Up Roots in the Boot, which specializes in heritage tourism and genealogical research throughout Italy for Americans, Canadians, and Australians of Italian descent. The conversation covers attaining your dual citizenship, discovering and reconnecting with your Italian relatives.
In our Stories Segment, Anthony speaks with Rita Richardson, an Italian American living in Nashville, who is spearheading a campaign to save and restore a 17th century baroque chapel located in Castiglion Fiorentino, Tuscany, Italy, and by extension the community it resides within.
“Italy is a dream that keeps returning for the rest of your life.” – Anna Akhmatova
- “There are a lot of variables you need to consider.” – Anthony Fasano on seeking Italian Citizenship as an Italian American
- “The people are really authentic, friendly, and wonderful.” Laura Lee on living in the Calabria Region of Italy
- “The only way for me to get out was to back my car up.” – Anthony Fasano on traveling through small Italian villages
- “If you find your family in Italy, they will treat you like they’ve known you forever.” – Anthony Fasano
- “I decided that the person to save the church was me.” – Rita Richardson on saving the Church of San Filippino
About our guest…Laura Lee of Digging Up Roots in the Boot
Anthony Fasano and Dolores Alfieri
Co-Hosts, The Italian American Podcast