What have you been doing during your time in “lockdown”?
We here at the Italian American Podcast have been doing what we do best– working on being as unabashedly Italian American as possible! Seeing as a big part of the Italian American identity is drawing from the interactions we have with friends, family and fellow paesani, more than two months in isolation have forced us to find some pretty innovative ways to be extra-Italian without leaving the house! Some of our discoveries have been so much fun that we figured we should share our proprietary strategies with our amici out there in Italian America, so in this week’s episode, we present:
“10 Easy Steps To Becoming An EVEN BETTER Italian American While You’re Stuck At Home!”
We’re exploring the various experiences we’ve had while living in quarantine and sharing how some activities that help pass the time can help strengthen the ties that bind us to our heritage— we’ll talk about how we are attempting to support Italian American small businesses without leaving the couch, how watching Mass online is changing how we live our faith, and why the right flour for the perfect loaf of Italian bread is a commodity one of us has cornered the market on!
We also share what we’re cooking up in the “Cucina Quarantena,” where we’re recreating old family recipes, taking part in kitchen experiments, and getting the chance to truly sit down and pause while having a family meal with our loved ones.
And, we’ll give you countless tips, tricks, and ideas on how to use this time to organize family photos, partake in a genealogical journey, learn a bit of Italian or a regional language, and much, much more!
Sure, some states are reopening, although others are continuing to experience lockdown for the foreseeable future, but no matter when you and yours get the “all clear,” the best part about this list is that it extends beyond lockdown, so you can try all of our suggestions even after the COVID craziness ends, and maybe get your friends and famiglia in on the fun too!
And so, in no particular order, here are the Top 10 Ways To Be An EVEN BETTER Italian American While You’re Stuck At Home!
- Write down and practice family recipes
- Collect and record family stories with your loved ones
- Organize, identify, and preserve old family photos, videos, documents, and heirlooms
- Become Your Family Genealogist.
- Support Italian American Small Businesses
- Join a Virtual Italian American Event
- Plan Your Dream Trip to Italy
- Learn, Advance, or Perfect Your Italian or Regional Language Skills!
- Make a Dent in the Great Italian American Reading List
- IAP 82: A Power Hour History of the Italian American Experience, Part 4 of 4: Reading Recommendations for the Discerning Italian American
- When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi by David Maraniss
- Alfred E. Smith: The Happy Warrior by Christopher M. Finan
- Italian Fascist Activities in the United States by Gaertano Salvemini
- Catch Up On or Rediscover the 140+ Episode Archive Of the Italian American Podcast!
- Episode Archive
- Anthony Recommends: IAP 50: A Visit to the Mount Rushmore National Memorial to See US History Changed
- John Recommends:
- IAP 74: A Power Hour History of the Italian Experience: Part 1 of 4: Before We Were Italians: 1492-1890
- IAP 75: A Power Hour History of the Italian Experience: Part 2 of 4: Italians in America: 1890-1941
- IAP 77: A Power Hour History of the Italian Experience: Part 3 of 4: Americans of Italian Descent: 1941- Present